Last Updated on December 17, 2023 by Leepu Da Maxim
Yes, the Kia Sorento is a good mid-size SUV that boasts comfortable seating and a user-friendly infotainment system. The model comes with a decent list of standard features at an affordable price to give owners value for money. The Kia Sorento is an excellent model if you are after a comfortable car with excellent handling.
- The Kia Sorento has received positive reviews for its spacious interior, comfortable ride, and available advanced safety features
- The 2022 Kia Sorento offers three engine options: a 2.5-liter four-cylinder, a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder, and a hybrid powertrain
- The Kia Sorento comes with an 8-speed automatic or 6-speed automatic transmission depending on the engine you choose
- The Kia Sorento comes with a lot of safety features like forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning, etc.
2022 Kia Sorento review
Features and specifications
The Kia Sorento comes with valuable standard features, making it user-friendly and comfortable to drive. Let’s look at some of these features
2022 Kia Sorento Key features
- It comes with a one-touch panoramic sunroof
- It has a heated steering wheel
- It has a wireless phone charger and 8 USB chargers throughout the three rows
- It comes with 20-1nch sport alloy wheels
- The X-Line-equipped vehicles have the higher ground clearance for better offroad performance
- Have roof rack rails for carrying extra cargo
- It comes with excellent driver assistance features
Pros of the Kia Sorento
- Impressive standard and optional features
- It has a stylish and user-friendly infotainment system
- Lots of legroom in the second and third seating rows, which is quite rare in mid-size SUVs
- Good fuel economy
- A stylish and refined interior
- The optional turbocharged engine is impeccable
Cons of the Kia Sorento
- Bit expensive when compared to the last generation model
- Cramped cargo space
- The larger touchscreen display doesn’t offer smartphone mirroring
Specifications of the 2022 Kia Sorento
|Small SUV 2WD
|2.5L turbo DOHC 4-cylinder
|Maximum horsepower @ RPM
|281 @ 5800
|Maximum Torque @RPM
|311 @ 1700
|Fuel economy combined/city/highway
|Front suspension type
|Strut with coil springs
|Rear suspension type
|Multi-link with coil springs
Is the Kia Sorento a good SUV?
Yes, the Kia Sorento is an excellent mid-size SUV with three rows of seating; it is an excellent balance between the Sportage and Telluride. The Sorento is a good option if you want a Kia SUV that isn’t as big or expensive as the Telluride or as small as the Sportage.
The model has four powertrain options, including a hybrid and a plug-in hybrid. It comes with many useful features for its price and is very affordable to buy and maintain. Let’s look at all the features of the Kia Sorento that make it a good SUV.
Engine and performance
The Kia Sorento comes with different engine options and a front-wheel-drive drivetrain system. The standard engine is a 191-hp 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder engine. It also has an optional 281-hp 2.5L Turbocharged engine that is fast for such a small SUV. It has a 0-60 mph of 6 seconds, and here’s the exciting part; power continues to build at higher speeds.
The eight-speed automatic transmission is capable of a seamless shift in full speed and slow-moving traffic. The Sorento also has a responsive and well-balanced brake pedal to make slowing a breeze. The model also has excellent handling that inspires confidence when driving.
The Kia Sorento is designed for the highest comfort level you can get in a small SUV. It has ample legroom in all seating rows, and the front seats are adjustable and heated. The second row features either a bench seat or captain’s chairs that are firm and more comfortable than those on other SUVs. The third-row seats are low to the floor and smaller, but they offer good support even to adults.
The interior layout of the Sorento screams comfort from far; it has a solid build quality and is made of excellent materials. The seat inserts and door panels are intricately stitched, giving an elegant finishing.
The Kia Sorento also has an efficient dual-zone climate control that is easy to operate. The console is also filled with cupholders and cubby storage spots
We all know that Kia doesn’t play in infotainment and technology features. The Kia Sorento model comes with a standard 8.0-inch touchscreen, but you can upgrade to the optional 10.3-inch touchscreen. It also features a wireless charging pad and an optional 12-speaker Bose sound system for those who prefer an upscale audio experience. You also choose the rear-seat entertainment system that has a touchscreen mounted on the back of each front seat.
The Kia Sorento comes packed with well-thought-out safety features to ensure you drive confidently and arrive safely to your destination. Below are the safety features you expect on the 2022 Kia Sorento:
- Driver assistant features: standard auto emergency braking technology, optional blind spot detection, rear cross-traffic collision avoidance technology, and rear blindspot view monitors
- Electronic stability control and roll stability control
- ABS and driveline traction control
- Side impact beams
- Front and rear collision mitigation
- Tire-specific low tire pressure warning
- Power rear child safety locks
- Back-up camera
- Warranty coverage
The Kia warranty is yet another feature that makes the Sorento the best mid-size SUV on the market. When you buy a brand-new Kia Sorento, you will rarely need to pay for maintenance or repairs because the warranty is comprehensive. The Kia Sorento warranty includes:
- 60,000 miles or five years basic warranty
- 100,000 miles or ten years drivetrain warranty
- 100,000 miles or five years anti-perforation and corrosion warranty
- 60,000 miles or five years roadside assistance warranty.
- Fuel economy
The Kia Sorento comes in four different engines, and all of them are fuel-efficient so you will save some bucks on fuel. The base engine is the 2.5L four-cylinder engine with an EPA rating of 24 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.
The turbocharged 2.5-liter engine is rated at 22 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway. The Hybrid option is more fuel-efficient, with a rating of 39 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. The plug-in hybrid is rated 35 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway.
With the Kia Sorento, you can save more on gas as they are all very fuel-efficient. The plug-in hybrid can get to32 miles on electricity alone with a single charge.
Is the Kia Sorento worth buying?
Yes, the Kia Sorento has proved to be a reliable and comfortable mid-size SUV that is affordable to buy and maintain. It also comes with standard technological and infotainment features, so you don’t have to spend a lot to enjoy a premium experience. The model is comfortable, spacious, and has ample seating to make a good family car. The safety features of this model are another reason to buy it as soon as you can; you can only get such features in an expensive luxury car. If you are searching for a quality mid-size SUV, search no further than the Kia Sorento.
Hi, I’m Leepu Da Maxim, a dedicated car enthusiast with over 10 years of experience in this field, and I’m thrilled to share my passion and expertise with fellow car enthusiasts like you. My journey began in my hometown West Jordan, Utah, where my fascination with the mechanics and design of cars sparked at a young age. Over the years, this passion has evolved into a commitment to providing accurate, insightful, and engaging information about all things automotive through CarsAmazing.