Last Updated on February 19, 2023 by Leepu Da Maxim
The Kia Stinger is a four-door luxury hatchback designed as a rear-wheel-drive sports sedan with an aggressive stance. The model has received recognition for its style, performance, and practicality. The Kia stinger has average reliability ratings, but owners say the model is dependable and performs excellently.
- According to J.D Power, the Kia Stinger has a quality and reliability rating of 83 out of 100
- On Edmunds.com, the Kia Stinger has a 4.3-star rating out of five and an expert rating of 8.1 out of 10
- The Kia Stinger offers two engine options: a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine or a 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 engine
- The Stinger comes with an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
2022 Kia Stinger review
The 2022 Kia Stinger ranks among the top 5 small luxury cars thanks to its intuitive technology, massive cargo area, and powerful engine. The model is designed to challenge the European automotive elites with premium looks and feel. The Kia Stinger is the perfect car for any luxury car enthusiast on a budget.
If you are eyeing the Kia Stinger, this section is for you; we look at its features, specifications, and pros and cons.
Pros of 2022 Kia Stinger
- It has a long list of standard infotainment features
- It comes loaded with driver assistance features as standard
- Has Powerful turbocharged engine choices
- It has an impressive base price for its class
- Come with a huge cargo area
- Features impressive interior and exterior styling even on the base model
Cons of the 2022 Kia Stinger
- Not as luxurious and sporty as the competitors in its class
- I might feel unsettled when driving on twisty and fast roads
2022 Kia stinger key features
- It comes with well-thought-out safety features
- It has an impressive warranty coverage
- Premium infotainment features including apple car play and android auto as standard
- It has a stylish interior with more comfortable rear seats than most vehicles in its class
- Features two different turbocharged engine options paired with eight-speed automatic transmission
- It has six different trim levels to cater to everyone’s needs
2022 Kia Stinger Specifications
|Vehicle classification||Midsize Cars|
|Drivetrain||All Wheel Drive|
|Engine type||2.5L Turbo GDI I4|
|Fuel system||Gasoline Direct Injection|
|Maximum horsepower @ RPM||300 @ 5800|
|Maximum Torque @RPM||311 @ 1650|
|Transmission||8-speed automatic transmission|
|Fuel economy combined/city/highway||24/21/29|
|Front suspension type||Strut|
|Rear suspension type||Multi-link|
What makes the Kia Stinger reliable?
Various factors determine whether a car model is reliable; a reliable car has improved safety features, better fuel economy, and holds up well on the road. This section looks at the features that a Kia Stinger possesses that make it a reliable model.
The 2022 four-cylinder rear-drive Kia Stinger has an EPA rating of 22mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway. This is the highest estimated fuel economy for the model. The more powerful V6 engine with all-wheel drive is less efficient, with an EPA rating of 17 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.
The Kia Stinger can be used for fuel efficiency, especially if you choose the four-cylinder engine with a rear-drive train system.
The Kia Stinger comes loaded with the most safety features as standard and numerous driver-assist features as options. The 2022 Kia stinger also received a 5-star safety rating from NHTSA. Some of the key safety features of the model include:
- Automated emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Lane-keeping assist and lane-departure warning
- Adaptive cruise control
- Forward collision warning
- Lane tracing assist
- Rear parking sensors
- Blindspot monitoring
- Safe exit alert
A good and reliable vehicle needs dependable warranty coverage so that owners don’t have to worry about unplanned repairs. The 2022 Kia Stinger comes with Kia’s legendary warranty. The warranty includes:
- 60,000 miles or five years limited basic warranty
- 100,000 miles or ten years limited powertrain warranty
- 100,000 miles or five years anti-perforation warranty
- 60,000 miles or five years roadside assistance plan
Ride quality and handling
The Kia Stinger is a fun-to-drive model in various situations; it has a responsive steering and comfortable suspension setup. The model tackles curvy roads with enthusiasm, giving an amazing ride quality. If you are more focused on performance, the GT models of the Kia Stinger are the perfect upgrade for you. They have performance upgrades that include a limited-slip differential, variable-ratio steering, and upgraded brakes for better-stopping power. The model also comes with an electronic adaptive suspension.
The 2022 Kia stinger features top-of-the-tier infotainment features. It has a 10.25-inch touchscreen display with a straightforward response, sharp graphics, and easy-to-use menu structures. The home screen can be personalized to make interactions familiar. It also features some knobs and physical buttons that are easy to reach from the driver’s seat.
The model also comes with Apple Carplay and Android Auto as standard, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, nine-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, voice recognition, and wireless device charging. Owners also have an option of getting a 15-speaker Harman Kardon surround-sound stereo.
How many miles can you expect from a Kia Stinger?
The Kia Stinger hasn’t been in the market long enough to get a testimony of its durability from owners. However, the model has a projected lifespan of 200,000 miles before it starts experiencing any major issues.
To increase the vehicle’s durability, you need to keep up with the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule. It would be best if you were a gentle and careful driver to get the most out of your car.
The best years of Kia Stinger
The Kia Stinger was launched in 2017 and has had an incredible run. All the model years perform excellently, and they don’t have a terrible model yet. However, some model years outperform others and are considered the best.
The 2021 Kia Stinger has received testimonials for being a good car with outstanding performance. The model got a 5-star rating on cars.com, making it the best-rated Kia Stinger model. The 2018 Kia Stinger has a 4.8-star rating with 154 reviews making it a favorite among owners. The 2020 model is also another owner favorite with a rating of 4.8-stars with 23 reviews
Which years of the Kia Stinger should you avoid?
Kia Stinger hasn’t had any major issues since the first model year. However, the 2018 model has been recalled due to a risk of a short circuit or fire caused by wiring issues. The same model was also recalled in 2020 due to service brakes and Anti-lock and traction control problems. When buying a used Kia Stinger, you might want to avoid the 2018 model as it is more prone to experiencing issues.
Are Kia Stingers expensive to maintain?
Kia makes affordable cars to buy and maintain, and the Kia Stinger is no exception. This model has an estimated annual average repair cost of $250. This is quite affordable, especially if you compare it to other models of its class.
The Kia stinger has been in the market since the 2018 model year and has proven to be a very reliable model. It performs excellently with very minimal instances of breaking down. The model is also affordable to buy and maintain, making it rank high in reliability ratings. If you’ve been eyeing a Kia Stinger, we hope that this review has helped you make up your mind. If you buy a used Kia Stinger, avoid the 2018 model year or have a mechanic confirm its reliability.