Last Updated on December 17, 2023 by Leepu Da Maxim
One day, you are driving your Chevy Spark, and you get a “code 82” message; what do you do? Most drivers panic when they don’t know what the message means; you don’t have to. Code 82 on a Chevrolet spark reminds you that it’s time for an oil change.
- If you see the code 82 on a Chevy Spark then it means you have driven 7,500 miles and now it’s time to change the oil
- You can drive the Chevy Spark with the “code 82” message as the message doesn’t signify any emergency but you should schedule an oil change as soon as convenient
- When you change the oil, you have to reseat the Code 82 on a Chevy Spark so that the vehicle’s computer system will monitor the engine oil life again
What causes the Code 82 notification on your Chevy Spark?
As already mentioned earlier, the Code 82 message on your Chevrolet spark reminds you that your car is soon due for an oil change. This notification isn’t classified as a high alert or requires immediate action, but you need to act on it within a reasonable period.
Changing the oil on your Chevy will ensure that the engine operates efficiently. There are various benefits of changing your engine oil on time, and they include:
- Keeping your engine clean because sludge, dirt, and debris are removed when oil and filter are changed on time
- Prolonging engine life due to lubrication
- Ensuring that your engine parts are working well with minimal wear and tear
- Improving gas mileage because friction n the engine is minimal
- Enhancing engine performance; when you change your oil on time, your engine works better because there is no buildup of dirt or sludge
As time passes, the engine oil you put in your Chevrolet spark starts collecting dirt, dust, and residues as t lubricates the various engine parts. When the oil passes through your engine, it passes through a filter that sieves out some residues. As the filter gets clogged with residue, it becomes less efficient. This causes the engine oil to have more residue and lose its purity. When the engine oil is contaminated, it becomes less efficient in carrying out its lubrication duties.
If your car stays so long without an oil change, it reduces performance and efficiency and risks damaging some engine parts. Keeping up with recommended oil change intervals helps to elongate the lifespan of your vehicle and ensures you don’t experience any oil-related problems. This simple maintenance practice can save you thousands of dollars in repairs.
When the code 82 notification comes up on your Chevrolet Spark, set aside some time to visit your auto shop, although it is not dangerous to drive with this notification, continuing to drive for long with dirty oil can damage your engine and reduce its lifespan.
When you’ve already had an oil change and replaced the filters, your mechanic will reset the code on your Chevy Spark. Sometimes they may forget to reset it, but the good news is that you can do it yourself. Let’s take you through a step-by-step guide on how to reset code 82 on your Chevy spark.
How do I get rid of code 82 on a Chevy Spark?
To get rid of code 82 on Chevrolet Spark, you need to schedule an oil change service. After the oil has been changed, your mechanic will reset the code 82 notification. If the mechanic forgets to reset the code, you can do it yourself. Below are the steps you should follow to reset code 82 on your Chevy spark:
- Turn the key to the “on” position
- Press the menu button on the right side of the dashboard
- Press the menu button or arrows until you get to oil life
- When you keep pressing, the word reset will be displayed
- Press and hold the set or clear (written as SET/CLR) button until it gets to 100%
- The code 82 will clear; press the menu again to go back to the main screen.
Is it safe to drive with code 82?
Yes, it is safe to drive, but you need to get your oil changed. The code 82 notification is a reminder to change your oil. It doesn’t signify any significant problems with the vehicle. However, driving with dirty oil strains your engine and makes the parts wear out faster. When the code 82 notification comes on, you will need to visit your mechanic within a week.
Common fault codes on chevy spark
Other than the 82 fault code, our chevy spark may display other error codes. Let’s look at some of the common error codes on Chevy Spark and their meaning:
|What it means
|An idle air control valve is faulty
|Engine stallingIdle too low or too high
|Deposits on the idle air control valve air passages and a faulty idle control valve
|Open circuit on the fluid temperature sensor circuit
|Check engine light
|Transmission temparature sensor
|High system voltage
|Erratic engine performance and erratic performance of electrical system components
|Failed voltage regulator
|Attempted theft occurred, and the alarm stopped it from happening
|Alarm goes off
|Someone trying to start the car without keys Attempted to break on the door
|Faulty airbags and seatbelt
|The defective airbag control module
|Changing airbags and seat belts after an accident
Fixing code 82 on Chevy Spark
Code 82 acts as a reminder that your oil needs to be changed. When this light comes on, make an appointment with your auto shop or mechanic to have the oil changed and filters replaced. Once this is done, the mechanic will reset the error code. Sometimes, they may forget but resetting it is easy, you need to follow the steps outlined earlier, and the code will go away.
Hi, I’m Leepu Da Maxim, a dedicated car enthusiast with over 10 years of experience in this field, and I’m thrilled to share my passion and expertise with fellow car enthusiasts like you. My journey began in my hometown West Jordan, Utah, where my fascination with the mechanics and design of cars sparked at a young age. Over the years, this passion has evolved into a commitment to providing accurate, insightful, and engaging information about all things automotive through CarsAmazing.