A motorcycle’s accelerator is the component charged with increasing the power in the vehicle. Here, a valve opens when the driver presses the accelerator. So, this allows for a greater amount of air-fuel mixture to enter the engine. Vehicles using electronic fuel injection require the control unit to open the valve and inject fuel into the engine.
4 Different Types Of Motorcycle Throttle Locks
|Throttle Locks – Mounts To…||Features|
|Throttle Sleeve||It is easy to activate and deactivate |
No specifications by model, brand, or year No need to occupy gripper space Installs safely Excellent driving experience
|Rubber Grip||No specifications by model, brand, or year|
Installation without removing or drilling anything
High quality and durable materials are used
|Bar End||No need to occupy gripper space |
A large number of vehicles include this component
|Handlebar and Grip||It is easy to activate and deactivate Installs safely Excellent driving experience|
How Do You Hold The Throttle?
All users who own a motorcycle know that there are different ways to keep the throttle on for a certain amount of time. However, it’s not as simple or straightforward as most beginning riders think. Instead, there is a right way and a wrong way to use a throttle during a ride.
In principle, everyone knows not to use the throttle to hold on to the motorcycle. All motorcyclists know this, regardless of whether they have ever made this mistake. In turn, the grip should be relaxed and reliable when you use your motorcycle’s throttle. You need to avoid improper riding and at the same time avoid any pain in your hands.
When you use the throttle improperly, you may experience some hand cramping after a while. In the same way, too hard acceleration over potholes could lead to some kind of driving error. Once we agree on these points we must continue to mention that there is no one way to use the accelerator.
On the one hand, some people think that it takes the thumb and the remaining four fingers to wrap around the accelerator and use it. On the other hand, other people consider it necessary to reserve one or two fingers for the brakes. These people choose to keep their fingers frequently on the brake lever.
In particular, this is often done to avoid a motorcycle accident or in an emergency. Of course, the vast majority of motorcyclists choose to keep their wrists straight and opt for the first form of the throttle grip. Also, a great deal of learning considers it necessary to teach how to release the throttle when it is essential.
In this sense, users may choose to release the throttle only to use the brake lever. In this way, motorcyclists have the possibility of avoiding mistakes when using the accelerator and the brake at the same time. This is a fairly common mistake when someone wants to break but accelerates at the same time.
So, this could only lead to too much brake work. In particular, this is because the brakes have to withstand more power whether you are accelerating or not. This is a fairly common mistake made by beginning riders and some with a little more experience.
What Is The Best Way To Use The Throttle?
Before continuing to ride your motorcycle, it is necessary to know the best way to use the vehicle’s accelerator. Some people believe that a significant fraction of a second can be lost if you don’t keep two fingers on the brake lever. It takes a fraction of a second for people to take their fingers off the throttle and use the brake.
As mentioned, these people choose to keep two fingers on the brake at all times while using the accelerator. However, this is too easy a way to panic and break when it is not necessary. If you decide to opt for this form of driving, there are some adjustments you can make to your vehicle.
First, the initial bite of the disc brake should be formidable so as not to apply too much brake lever force with your hand. This way, a slight action may be more than enough to activate the brake properly. In this way, the front brake will be able to provide formidable braking while you are driving.
Also, some experienced riders have their technique for stepping on the gas during downhill shifts. That’s why there are also some fingers on the accelerator and one or two fingers on the brake. However, it doesn’t seem to be the best choice when it comes to a beginner motorcyclist who is still learning to ride.
So this technique can avoid dangerous rear wheel lockup whether the wheel speed matches the engine speed. Beyond that, some motorcycle manufacturers are looking to introduce slipper-type clutches.
In this way, it is possible to avoid this hesitation between the accelerator and the brake. For the moment, KTM and Kawasaki are looking to implement these changes.
Of course, this is an excellent safety device to optimize riding. Although using two fingers on the brake lever is still an excellent idea once you have the necessary experience. It is the downshift technique that can be useful when used correctly. Also, we can mention some useful tips to use accelerator correctly:
1. The thumb should always be located under the accelerator. When the driver places his thumb on top of the accelerator, he loses control over the vehicle and driving efficiency.
2. Your wrist should be straight for the entire trip. This way, you will have an excellent range of motion so you can accelerate and use the brake at the right time.
3. To avoid engine malfunction, you should press the throttle smoothly and gently. So this means not pressing the accelerator too hard. Even the vehicle could accelerate too fast. This can increase the chances that you will lose control of the bike.
4. In particular, it is highly recommended to relax your hand for several moments during the trip. This way you will have the possibility to avoid any kind of cramp due to too much tension. Of course, a cramp can be a very dangerous situation when you are riding your bike.
5. You need to know how to combine the movement of both fingers on the brake lever with the rest of your hand on the throttle. Especially when using the brake this can easily produce some movement in your hand. Here, the result could be a wrong acceleration that could damage the stability of your ride.
6. One of the most efficient ways to drive is to learn how to correctly shift down the accelerator and brake at the same time. Learning to use the brake and accelerator smoothly can prevent new drivers from making a lot of mistakes.
7. Finally, it is necessary to learn a driving technique that fits from day one. A comfortable driving technique allows you to avoid some mistakes that can lead to traffic accidents.
What Is A Motorcycle Throttle Lock?
As its name indicates, the main function of this component is to lock the throttle when necessary. When the throttle lock is not included, then the driver must keep the throttle in one position for a long time. It is too uncomfortable to drive at a certain speed during a long trip.
So, this component has the advantage of avoiding cramps and muscle fatigue in the hands. All motorcyclists who use their vehicles frequently consider this component important.
This, there are also throttle locks with different designs and functionalities. This allows riders to keep the throttle in a set position. This also makes it much easier to go downhill or uphill at the same speed on a road. This also provides an excellent advantage for novice drivers.