In the United States, the average salary for automotive designers is $36.93 per hour and $76824 per year. The lowest 10% of people earn $55,000 per year, while the top 10% have an annual salary of $107,000, making it one of the highest-paid careers in the automotive industry.
Salary Of Automobile Designers – Chart
|Average In A Year||$76824|
What Is The Highest Paying Job In The Automotive Industry?
One of the jobs that many people are most encouraged to enter in the automotive industry is automotive design. Although it is not a very easy job, the truth is that it is one of the best-paid jobs in this industry. So, the different engineers specialized in this task need to develop new vehicle designs.
The important thing here is to optimize both the functionality and the structure of the new cars to be developed. Because the competition is too high the role of the car designers is very important. Thus, car designers have to take into consideration a variety of obstacles and objectives.
In a nutshell, it is about developing a car that satisfies the needs of customers, and at the same time is safe, comfortable, and attractive. That is why a car designer has a wide variety of responsibilities and main tasks. Although these professionals work with cars, they also can work with different vehicles in general.
Main Tasks Of Car Designers
Here we can consider the main tasks that these professionals must perform to deliver high-level results.
1. Design Development: Here it is about drafting and developing different designs of assemblies, parts, and complete car systems. For this purpose, various prototypes, models, and drawings are used to explain as efficiently as possible the specific ideas of each car designer.
2. Car Appearance: One of the main tasks of these professionals is to optimize the visual appearance of a vehicle. Here, it is important to consider the aerodynamics that a car can offer in combination with the level of attractiveness. Even attractiveness is very important when it comes to marketing the car.
3. Design Organized Into Areas: There is no single area of design that automotive design professionals are responsible for. On the contrary, they are usually chosen in one of three main regions to specialize and get better results. These areas are trim design, color or exterior design, and interior design.
4. Compatibility With Other Parts: When it comes to the specific design of a car, compatibility with the different systems and parts to be incorporated is also considered. So, here it is important to consider the mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems that will be inserted in the car.
5. Use Specialized Software: To obtain a much more specific design with a high level of precision and without too much effort, these professionals require various design software. In this way, they can count on the assistance of a computer to be able to develop in less time and with less effort highly complex designs.
6. Research And Requirements Fulfillment: Here, a high level of research is required to be able to perform an efficient design considering the production process. In combination with this, it is also important for automotive designers to comply with each of the manufacturers’ requirements. In this way, a specific car design can be obtained.
Who Is The Richest Car Designer?
The automotive industry requires a wide variety of professionals and experts from different areas. Automotive designers are one of the key players when it comes to the development of a car. As it’s often the case with a wide variety of human activities, some automotive designers have excelled around the world.
In general, standing out in this kind of environment means having a great amount of money due to the results. Therefore, we can consider that one of the richest car designers of this era is undoubtedly Henrik Fisker.
This car designer has one of the most important trajectories when we consider any car designer. He is one of the most prosperous car designers because of his writing platforms. In this case, he is a professional who has worked with BLF, BMW, and Aston Martin.
He even has his renowned factory called Fisker Automotive. He is a designer of Danish origin who has managed to develop great innovations for the automotive industry. One of these innovations is undoubtedly the premium electric plug-in dedicated to hybrid vehicles, called Fisker Karma.
BMW could work with this professional almost exclusively from 1989 to 2001. During this time, many innovative coaches were developed that have remained iconic to this day. Around the 2000s, Henrik also could work with Aston Martin and Ford on a variety of projects.
In those years, he started his own car company called Fisker Coachbuild. So, for all the car designers in the world, this professional is one of the most famous and popular role models. There are also other well-known car designers in the world.
1. Chris Brangle: This is an instrumental designer working for several years on Opel vehicles. In 1990 he was a chief designer of the Fiat coupe. This great vehicle was known to all in 1993. Anyway, his most notable performance could be enjoyed in several BMW models such as series 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7.
2. Ian Callum: After many years of preparation in automotive design, this professional got his first job in 1979 at Ford. However, in 1990 he left this manufacturer to devote all his efforts to a TWR design. Before working at Jaguar in 1999 he also worked on the Aston Martin DB7 and Vanquish.
3. Karley Earl: This automotive industry personality was for many years vice president of General Motors and served as head of design in this company. He was responsible for a great variety of innovative car designs. One of the best-known developments is the Chevrolet Corvette.