Last Updated on January 3, 2023 by Leepu Da Maxim
Well, the main purpose of a rectifier is to transform the bi-directional oscillating alternating current into a direct current. There are various types of rectifiers available like half-wave rectifiers, full-wave rectifiers, bridge rectifiers, etc.
- Rectifiers are mostly used in electronic devices, electric vehicle charging systems, DC motor drives, etc.
- A rectifier is used in motorcycles to rectify the AC current of the motorcycle’s charging system into the DC current
- You will find the rectifier in a motorcycle near the motorcycle’s alternator or generator
- The rectifier ensures the battery of the motorcycle is charged properly so that the electrical systems of the motorcycle work accordingly
Full Wave Rectifier – Pros & Cons
|1. The ripple frequency is twice the input frequency |
2. The highest level of efficiency
3. Excellent DC output power
4. Lower level ripple factor
5. Excellent output voltage
6. High-level transformer utilization factor Smoother and more appropriate results
|1. More complete than the half-wave rectifier |
2. The PIV rating of the diode is higher than other options
3. The high cost of the central bypass transformer
4. The full-wave rectifier circuit is not suitable when a small voltage needs to be rectified
5. High cost and large size of PIV diodes
How To Detect Faults In The Rectifier?
Nowadays a large number of objects and vehicles have some kind of rectifier. So, it is an essential part of the correct operation of a certain design.
In particular, the regulator and the rectifier are two components that can be found together in many motorcycles. So, if any electrical failure occurs you can check the rectifier. In this way, you would be much better prepared for the repairs that should be applied to your vehicle.
1. You should start by disconnecting each of the wires involved in the motorcycle. In particular, it is important to consider that these are electrical cables. So, you should apply an analysis while maintaining your safety and protection from electricity.
Also, you must have a digital multimeter if you want to effectively test the rectifier. To obtain the appropriate results, your multimeter must be configured with the diode function.
2. As a second step, you must check the positive diode. To do this, you simply take the positive diode from your motorcycle and insert the positive cable.
If you are a beginning user, you should take your time to do a good job. When you perform this step on a negative diode or with a negative wire, you will not have the expected results.
3. In this case, you can take the third step on the stator inputs. Here, you simply connect the negative wire to get the appropriate readings. However, after connecting the negative wire the readings should not be seen on the meter yet.
4. If everything goes according to this procedure, then you can connect the positive diode to the negative cable. Once you have done this step, you can then connect the positive cable to all the inputs on the stator. Of course, the numbers on your multimeter are irrelevant. However, the meter should give you some unimportant numbers.
5. At this point, you should perform the procedure for the negative diode. Here, you must connect the positive wire to the negative diode. Then, you must connect this same negative wire to the stator inputs.
6. When you connect the stator inputs to the positive wire, you should not notice any readings on your multimeter. If this is the case then you can go ahead and perform the last step.
7. Finally, you can perform the controller check. At the time the motorcycle is running you should connect the meter wires to the battery. The results should be no less than 13.5 volts or more than 14.5 volts.
The battery may be overloaded if the reading gives you a result higher than 14.5 volts. In this case, you should consider replacing the regulator rectifier as it is defective.
You will need more than $100 if you want a high-quality regulator rectifier. However, when you check the condition of the regulator rectifier then you can save some money. In this way, you will prevent the number of failures and problems from increasing over time.
So, it is an excellent way to be able to decrease future repair costs. In turn, this allows you to take advantage of the full life of the battery. When you purchase a used motorcycle, you should check the condition of this component immediately. This is one of the best ways to have a good quality motorcycle.
What Are The Most Common Causes Of Rectifier Failure?
There are a variety of causes why a rectifier might start to fail. In particular, the regulator rectifier is commonly found on most motorcycles today. One of the main negative aspects of this failure is the decrease in the value of your motorcycle. So, if you intend to sell your vehicle you will not be able to get the money you expect from it.
Of course, another obvious disadvantage is poor performance when using your vehicle. For some users, this disadvantage could be more serious than for others. In particular, one of the main causes that produce failure in the rectifier is the very high temperature. So, it is advisable to consider this aspect if your motorcycle is used or new.
It is not even possible to find the rectifier in the same place on any type of motorcycle. Here, the different manufacturers develop different designs for the different models of motorcycles.
So, it is necessary to consider where the rectifier is located on your current motorcycle. This way, you will be better prepared and be able to apply the necessary maintenance to this component.
On the one hand, you can find the rectifier installed somewhere near the radiator. On the other hand, the rectifier could be found somewhere opposite this site. Beyond the specific location of the rectifier, you can apply the necessary maintenance and checks. It is really necessary when your motorcycle is used or has some months of use.
Therefore, the location of the rectifier is important as it could more or less easily overheat. Of course, overheating is important as it is the main thing that can produce the first failures. However, it is not the only cause of why a rectifier starts to fail.
Another common cause is related to the operation of the motorcycle battery. If you want to get voltage on your vehicle the battery must be grounded. This connection must be present and provide a convenient level of confidence and safety in the connection.
When the voltage is faulty, or the link is bad, then faults can begin to appear. In this case, the temperature of the rectifier will begin to rise and faults will begin to appear. Here, a poor ground connection is more than enough to produce the first faults.
In the case that the battery connection is too worn out, this could also be an inconvenience. So, if you want to avoid a fault in the regulator rectifier, you should consider the condition and life of the battery.
If the battery is close to the end of its life, then it is a good time to purchase a high-quality replacement. This can certainly provide you with better day-to-day driving.
How Does Regulating Rectifier Work?
If you want to detect all the possible faults of this component, you must first understand how it works. This way, it will be much easier to notice when something is not in good condition. In principle, it is necessary to consider that modern motorcycles include an innovative design in the regulator rectifier.
So, the regulator rectifier is one of the standard components in the circuit of a motorcycle. Some vehicles today include electric charging circuits combined with a battery. In particular, this component rectifies the voltage and regulates it at the same time. This is why it is called a regulating rectifier.
You may notice that the stator coil of a motorcycle alternator provides alternating current voltage. Most vehicles of this type have a three-piece system. In particular, there are usually three wires that connect the regulator rectifier to the stator.
Other lower-cost motorcycles have single-phase designs. So instead of finding three cables, you will find only two cables. Beyond that, this component is responsible for transforming the energy from alternating current to direct current.
Once this happens, then the direct current is regulated so as not to exceed 14.5 volts. If this voltage has been exceeded, it means that there is some kind of failure in this system or the battery. So, this specific DC voltage is provided to the battery so that the motorcycle can be operated.
So, if you notice any of the major key faults it is recommended that you replace the major components. This way, you will be able to take care of the life of the battery and all the related components.
In particular, it’s a great way to lower your money costs for future repairs. In turn, the voltage provided to the battery should not be less than 13.5 volts. If this is the case, the battery will be low on power and your motorcycle will not be able to operate. This is a fairly common situation that happens to used motorcycles.